Saturday, April 30, 2011

Counting calories is dangerous to your enjoyment of that slice of cake!

I can't blame the baby for the baby weight anymore.  In fact, let's call it what it is: 15 pounds of beer and pizza weight. 

All last summer, after Chester went to sleep, I would indulge in a few (or six) beers.  I helped myself to the extra slice of cake, didn't blink at having a two donuts with my coffee (cream and sugar of course) and enjoyed the potty-training candy stash even if I didn't need to pee on the potty.  Yes I knew better, but all the baby weight was gone by six weeks the first time plus some.  I was the thinnest I've been since high school in between babies but the second time it didn't just peel off like the first time. 

So now it's time to work on the situation.  Two weeks ago, I installed a calorie counter app on my new phone and quickly discovered that I've been downing over 3,000 calories a day.

My breakfast, two slices of whole grain toast with butter, an egg and a slice of cheese was running me almost 500 calories.  Add a coffee, milk or juice and I was over 600 calories by 7:30am.  There would be a mid-morning snack with the boys, maybe a muffin or some other baked treat, and it didn't get any better from there.  A peanut butter and jelly sandwich runs about 450, add some fruit, maybe chips or mac and cheese.  You can see where I'm going!  By the time I made dinner and had a few beers every night, I was well beyond a reasonable diet.
 
Five Guys regular fries: 620 calories- this isn't even the meal, it's a side dish!

One package of Reese's Pieces packaged up as a carrot for Easter: 510 calories- again not even a meal!

The fabulous chicken parm, green beans, potatoes, salad, bread, cake and ice cream at this afternoon's bridal shower was nearly 1,600 calories!

If you want to try too, I'm using fatsecret.com and its calorie counter available on the android market.  Both are totally free, and I've been very impressed with the ease of finding the foods.  They have info from restaurants, homemade food, prepackaged foods.  I just scan the bar code on my bread and all the nutrition information fills in!  The only downside to keeping track is the total dismay when you discover what the treat you're considering will cost you.  But some days, the Reese's Pieces are absolutely worth the 510 calories. 

So now that I'm keeping track, I've cut back to the standard 2,000 calories and dropped 5 pounds in 2 weeks (still keeping my normal gym schedule of zumba or yoga classes a few days a week)  I still ate those fries, and the candy, but I've been able to keep my indulgences to a few a week, not a few a day. 

I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment