Thursday, December 1, 2011

Dum Dum awards

At our MOPS group, every other Thursday morning, we take a moment to share our "dumb" parenting moments.  You get a dum dum lollipop to celebrate your folly, and we all share a good laugh.  It's a reminder that we ALL have those moments in parenting, and the only way to move forward is to laugh it off. 

A few weeks ago, I shared the story of my super-productive day.  I was showered, with my hair styled and make-up on when we left the house for pre-school at 7:30am.  This alone, is a miracle!  I dropped off Pete, attended a great MOPS meeting, went grocery shopping, went to the bank, picked up Pete, had a meeting with our insurance agent to finalize a few documents, cooked a healthy and balanced dinner and I was ready to head out to my "Meet the pre-school parents" night when my friend arrived to babysit.  It was one of those days you feel like you've got your sh*t together and you are on top of the world!  Then I looked in the mirror to check my makeup before heading to the pre-school night, and realized the shirt I'd been wearing all day was see-through.  I had been wearing something else when I first got dressed, but during breakfast, the boys or I must have spilled something, so I just grabbed another t-shirt  and topped it with a little cardigan.  Unfortunately, I had selected an old and very thin t-shirt, and looking in the mirror now at 7pm, it was glaringly obvious that my bra had a lovely flower and lace pattern under the t-shirt.  All day I had been flashing people, though my friend swears up and down she assumed it was a camisole and not just my bra, so I can only hope others thought that as well. 

How did I get through an entire day without looking in the mirror?  I must have used the bathroom that day, didn't I take two seconds to check my outfit or look for a smudge in my makeup or a flyaway hair?  I guess I must have been so busy being productive that I was completely un-self-conscious.  Coming from a person who does my very best to look presentable in all situations, I'm shocked that it was an entire day I didn't look in the mirror, but I guess that's what motherhood does to you.

This blog is like those dum-dum awards, because really, my life is constantly one mishap after another.  I think it's important, though that I've accomplished the laughing part.  When your husband shatters two Christmas ornaments crashing them together to demonstrate that they're plastic and not glass, you have to laugh or you'll cry.  When your children refuse to share any of their toys during a playdate and the other children at the playdate are also throwing a tantrum, looking for barbies to play with and the whole situation is just so ridiculous you must laugh together because sharing that laugh meant you weren't alone today.  When haul out the presents and wrapping paper to start wrapping your Christmas present during naptime, only to find that you're completely out of scotch tape after just three presents, there's absolutely nothing you can do about it, so you might as well put them all back in the bags, then have a cookie and go lay down next to your sleeping toddler.   

My life, and my blog are our own little world of dum-dum awards and I wouldn't have it any other way.  We're too busy having fun to get everything right, and sometimes getting it all wrong is the most fun anyway.   

No comments:

Post a Comment